Home » Rhetorical Devices » Fear and Humor

Archives

Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International license.

Fear and Humor

Appeal to Fear

#1: Coronavirus fears spook markets as outbreak spreads; Trump called news conference, accuses media of “panicking markets”
    Context: President Trump on Twitter called a news conference to discuss the spread of the virus and he accused the media os stroking panic about financial markets. is it true? Who knows. Media are saying a lot of information about Coronavirus. We are getting scared. If I see somebody on the street, train or bus, coughing or sneezing, I think it’s the virus. Also, I’m following recommendations more than habitual, for example, I wash my hands several times a day. It really affects me the ad of Coronavirus.

# 2: A commercial for a security company that shows someone breaking into a home in the middle of the night.
    Context: It is an effective rhetorical device because is based on the emotion of fear. People are afraid of thieves and the company brings protection, security cameras, 24 hours vigilance, etc.

Appeal to Humor

#1: “I notice that everyone in favor of abortion has already born” Ronald Reagan.

Context: This was his position on abortion during the presidential debates in 1980. Abortion has been a serious debate around the world. He used humor to persuade the audience by saying the truth.

#2: Sedal Shampoo Comercial

Context: It is funny to see two lions: before and after. The lion before has the hair wild, nature and untamed, and the lion after has perfect hair and tamed hair because of the product.