Home » Rhetorical Devices » Scarcity Appeal and Fake News

Archives

Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International license.

Scarcity Appeal and Fake News

Scarcity Appeal
    I think that everybody has bought a particular product because of a limitation. Scarcity is a good strategy to encourage the audience to take action.

Example #1
    Amazon- Today’s Deal
    Every day I use the Amazon app to see what deals they have. Until now, I realize that’s scarcity appeal. Also, they have deals for holiday seasons, like Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Recently I bought a TV because of it sad: hurry, limited time. I can’t believe that I was a target for that advertising. How can I identify if the offer is a real deal or they are only using Scarcity Appeal to sell the product?

Example #2
    Macy’s Wine Cellar
    Every week I receive an email from Macy’s Wine Cellar: over 25% Off- This Weekend Only
    In the beginning, I thought it was a good promo (I bought it too- do not blame me…), but I receive the same promo every weekend. They try to sell wines with an offer only available during that time period. Now, I will pay more attention to the scarcity strategy to avoid shopping unnecessarily.

Fake News
    Example #1
    5G mobile networks spread COVID-19
    In March, interest spiked around the time that singer Keri Hilson tweeted:
    “People have been trying to warn us about 5G for YEARS. Petitions, organizations, studies…what we’re going [through] is the [effects] of radiation,” she warned. “5G launched in CHINA. Nov 1, 2019. People dropped dead. See attached & go to my IG stories for more. TURN OFF 5G by disabling LTE!!!”
    Celebrities like her started to tell the followers about the supposed link between of 5G and the pandemic. It is no scientific evidence that virus can travel on radio waves/ mobile networks. COVID-19 is spreading in many countries that do not have 5G, for example, Malaysia, Iran, France, Singapore, and Nigeria. Her statement is not enough to prove that theory. The virus is spread through respiratory droplets when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or speaks. People can also be infected by touching a contaminated surface and then their eyes, mouth, and nose.

Example #2
    Exposing yourself to the sun or to temperatures higher than 77F degrees DOES NOT prevent the coronavirus disease (COVID-19)
    You can catch COVID-19, no matter how sunny or hot the weather is. Countries with hot weather have reported cases of COVID-19. To protect yourself, make sure you clean your hands frequently and thoroughly and avoid touching your eyes, mouth, and nose.
    UNESCO said: “During this coronavirus pandemic, ‘fake news’ is putting lives at risk”. I haven’t heard much fake news regarding a topic. This a dangerous situation because when spreading false information you could promote discouragement, sadness, worries. If you receive news, it is good to analyze where the source comes from, how reliable it is and the impact it can cause if you spread it.